I spend a lot of time thinking about fashion. In fact, some may say that I’m a bit obsessed. But I have to admit that before coming to Soma, I didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about my underwear, much less obsessing about it. I’d buy whatever looked OK and then suffer through the discomfort (i.e. pain), just because I didn’t spend the time to find the right panties for my body and my wardrobe. Now I know that wearing pretty, soft and comfortable underwear makes me look and FEEL better. Old, worn-out panties make me feel, well, old and worn out. Ladies, it’s time to clean out your top drawer! Here are some tips to get you started:
- If you prefer maximum coverage and expect your panties to hit right at your belly button, try a High Leg Brief or Modern Brief.
- Conversely, if you’re uncomfortable when your panties touch your belly button, choose a lower rise panty such as the Hipster, Bikini or even a Boy Short.
- We’ve all heard your feet can swell throughout the day, but did you know that it’s common for some women to experience leg swelling? If the leg opening of your panty feels tight or restricting as the day goes on, you may want to try a High Leg Brief, which sits higher on the hip.
- Remember that our weight can fluctuate throughout the month. To alleviate discomfort, or the dreaded “muffin-top”, purchase a few pairs of panties that are one size larger for when you feel you need some extra wiggle room.
- Thongs are comfortable, as long as they fit! If you can’t try on a particular style, make sure you reference the size chart to ensure a perfect fit. My favorite thong is Soma’s Amazing Lace. There’s spandex added to the lace so it molds to the body for a no-show look.
I wear a 36DDD and have very little space between my breasts. I find that even bras that fit fabulously and support my bust well, often do not sit flat against my body in the area between my breasts. I have tried to go down a band size, up a cup size, and that still doesn’t help, so I don’t think that fit is the problem. Are there certain styles that are better suited to someone with my build? What styles would you recommend?
Most bras designed for sizes 36DDD and larger will not lay flat against your chest because a fuller bust fills the space in the center. With that said, a properly fitting bra should not allow more than one or two fingers width to fit underneath the “center front”, which is the fabric that’s positioned between your breasts. So if you have too much space at the bottom band or wire, you’ll need to increase your cup size and go down in band size. The best style for separation and center front “tacking” would be a minimizer; this style helps evenly distribute the breast tissue which allows the center front to better position against the chest. Hopefully you have a Soma near you so you can get fit by one of our experts and try on a few styles, but if not, I’d recommend you try either our Verona or Susana minimizers.
I hope this helps!
A few months ago, I had the opportunity to visit All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg, FL, a state of the art facility totally devoted to children’s care including pediatric treatment, education, research and advocacy for children. All Children’s Hospital is a part of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals®, an organization dedicated to raising funds for 170 children’s hospitals across North America.
There are no words to describe the impact the doctors, nurses, volunteers, donors and hospital staff make on patients and their families. To help support Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals nationwide, Soma Intimates, and our sister brands, Chico’s and White House Black Market, will donate $10 from the sale of every Creating Miracles Bracelet (while supplies last) to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals to help their mission to save and improve the lives of as many children as possible. The funds raised from each bracelet sale will be donated to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital closest to where YOU live, ensuring that every dollar raised is helping local kids.
In addition to our Creating Miracles Bracelet initiative, “like” us on Facebook and find out more ways you can get involved. To get you started, Soma Intimates, Chico’s and White House Black Market will collectively donate $1 to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals for each NEW and EXISTING “like” on our brands’ official Facebook pages, up to $200,000.
Thank you for helping us help kids!
I’m looking for a panty that is truly seamless. I’ve spent so much money buying panties that say “absolutely no panty line”. Well, when I put on my clothes you can still see the lines, so either I have a weird behind or they are lying…any suggestions??
First and foremost, NO, you don’t have a weird behind! We all have our own unique shape, fit preferences and style. Secondly, have you tried Vanishing Edge?? This collection of five different panty styles is constructed with silicone-lined back leg openings to eliminate panty lines and ensure a no-ride fit. With Vanishing Edge, or any panty for that matter, it’s important to make sure you’ve positioned them properly on your body. Here are some tips:
- Are the leg openings positioned correctly? The leg opening at the bottom of the panty should sit at the top of your thigh. If the panties aren’t placed in the right spot, meaning they are too high on your backside, you may be able to see a line. Always check in the mirror to make sure the panty is in the right place.
- The side seams of the panty should rest on your sides, not on or near your backside.
- Take the time to try panties on! A panty that is too small will cut into your body no matter what the style or fabric. A panty that is too big may roll down or sag, or in the case of Vanishing Edge, the silicone may not stay put. Wearing a panty that fits is just as important as wearing a bra that fits!
- Try a few different silhouettes. A friend of mine, who always wore thongs, now swears by Soma’s Vanishing Edge Boyshort. Her body is just shaped for that style of panty.
- If Vanishing Edge isn’t your thing, try Soma’s Seamfree Fabulous Collection which is designed without side seams.
Soma’s Animal Lace Vanishing Edge Panty and Vanishing Back Nadia Bra
Before I go, I want to wish all you moms out there a HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY! Thank you for all you do!